Manuscript Submission Policy
Instruction to Authors
- Scope: The Ethiopian Journal of Pediatrics and Child Health (Ethiop J Ped Child Health) is an official organ of the Ethiopian Pediatric Society and regularly publishes merited scientific contributions in the broader field of pediatrics, child health and related to health and medicine with significance to Ethiopia and the World at large. Its broader mission is the advancement of evidence-based Pediatrics and Child Health academics, policy guidance, and care service standards. Regular and Special Supplemental Issues will form the standard publications of the Journal. Conditional to merit and timeliness, the Journal will accept Editorial, Policy Brief, Original Article, Review Article, Brief Communication, Case Study, Teaching Articles, Letters, etc. Review and Teaching Articles will get published upon specific invitation and recommendation by the Editorial Board. With the aim of ensuring highest possible publication quality and thus reputation, the journal will subject all submissions to independent rigorous review to inform decision for or against; minimum of two reviewers for Original Articles. The Editorial Board will guide as well as oversee the quality of the review of submitted manuscripts including the identification of the qualified expertise and acceptance or rejection of a contribution falls under the sole discretion of the Editorial Board. Also, the Editorial Board will implement the utmost effective, efficient, and objective possible review system. Equally, the Editorial Board will observe the fundamental ethical requirements along the review continuum.
- Authorship, Acknowledgement, Ethics and Conflict(s) of Interest Policy: Authorship roles and Acknowledgments need to get cleared upon merit right before submission. The Ethiopian Journal of Pediatrics and Child Health will require optimal ethical fulfillment of research processes and hence thereof products subject for possible publication. Likewise, a prior declaration of possible conflict of interest of the Author(s) is a standard requirement.
- Uniformity of the Standard of Practice: The Ethiopian Journal of Pediatrics and Child Health will follow uniformly applicable standards of practice including formats and style to which Contributing Author(s) are required to fulfill upon submission of a contribution.
- Submission and Typescript: All submissions are to get accepted only through the Editor-in-Chief together with a duly signed by all contributing members (Co-Authors) formal cover letter with clear declaration that the Manuscript has not been published or submitted elsewhere. Submission to the Editor-in-Chief may be made via regular and/or electronic mail enclosures. All forms of manuscripts submitted for consideration of publication must get typed on one side of an A-4 size paper, in double spacing and with 12 point font size, left side margin of 3 cm, right side margin of 1.0 cm, and top-bottom margins of 1.5 all across. Triple copies of the entire content are required upon hard copy-based submission.
- Format and Style: Overall, the Ethiopian Journal of Pediatrics and Child Health doe subscribes to the International Committee of Medical Journal Editors, i.e., Vancouver’s Uniformly Accepted Style which should include author’s or authors’ name (s) and initial (s), full title, correctly abbreviated name of the journal, year, volume number and first and last page numbers (list all authors if six or less; when seven or more list only first three and add et al) for Scientific Articles and Contributing Authors are required to meet the specified Style all across. Reference to a book should contain author’s (s’) name (s) and initials, title of chapter, name of editors, title or book, city and name of publisher, year, first and last page numbers.
- Zorc J, Kiddoo D, Shaw K. Diagnosis and management of pediatric urinary tract infection. Clin Microbiology Rev 2005, 18: 417-22.
- T. Martin Barrat, Patrick Niaude. Clinical evaluation. In Pediatric Nephrology 5th edition. (Ellis D. Avner, William E. Harmon, Patrick Niaudet Ed). Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, Philadelphia 2004, 387-98.
Unless specifically advised, Manuscript contributions should comprise duly structured Abstract (not more than 250 words), concise enough Introduction, Subject and Methods, Results, Discussion, Discussion, Acknowledgements, References, Tables and/or Figures, and other pertinent parts. Abstracts whilst required to get structured accordingly by the main heading parts (Introduction, Subjects and Methods, Results, and Conclusion) will have to get submitted on separate sheet. The title page should contain (i) the title of the article, (ii) Author(s) full names, signature(s), degrees, designations, name of institution of affiliation of the piece of work, most current mailing address, telephone and e-mail contacts of each, and (iii) name and address of the Author to whom all correspondences should get directly addressed to.
- Metric System and Scientific terms: Where applicable the corresponding metric system of nomenclature should be used. All scientific terms should get stated as exactly appearing in the corresponding dictionary of reference for such. Both generic and trademark names may appear in the very first instance of describing a term but only the generic along the subsequent citations.
- Abbreviations, acronyms and symbols: All of the applicable abbreviations, acronyms and symbols are required to get spelled out in full at first appearance and the corresponding abbreviation, acronym and symbol indicated alongside in parenthesis.
- Tables and Figures: Like with all the other components of the Manuscript, Tables, Pictures, Figures and Charts are required to get submitted in triplicates; each should get typed and submitted in separate sheet; clarity and legibility of them are critical. Scientific paper format and style of Tables and Figures must get observed.
- References: Consistent to the specification of the Vancouver’s style, references should be numbered and listed consecutively; typed double-spaced and keyed (cited) to the corresponding text; Author(s) should ensure accuracy of every details of the reference quoted.
- Galley Proof: Galley Proof reading is a standard requirement in order to be able to correct possible editing and type errors in particular. Galley Proof review and revision is set at 98 hours or one week long of return at maximum. The Corresponding Author will take direct responsibility for fulfilling this requirement.
- Copyright privileges: Papers already accepted for publication in the Ethiopian Journal of Pediatrics will automatically become the copy right of the Journal and hence Contributing Authors are required to clear through completing and signing the Copyright Form in accordance prior to actual publication.
- Reprints: Upon publication of the corresponding contribution, at a limit of 25 reprints of the specific issue will get supplied to the Corresponding Author.
- Retention policy: The Editorial Board reserves the right to retain rejected manuscripts.
Updates: Prospective Contributing Author(s) are advised to regularly check both on the latest hard copy and web site versions of the Journal for possible progressive up-dates of the Guidance and Requirements
The above policy was for the authors of the manuscript. Below is the technical part on how to upload your manuscript successfully on our site.
How to upload a manuscript online
- Go to submit manuscript page. Once your page loads it will ask you to login first inorder to submit manuscript
- Inorder to login you need an EPS account, if you have created and activated your EPS account please login, if you don’t have an account create account under registration catagory. Once you have logged in you will see an upload form and a table at the right side of the upload form
- Please select the file you wish to upload by clicking the browse button. When you click the browse button a windows will popup to help you identify and select the file you wish to upload
- Select the file to upload, once you select the file it will be saved in the upload input form. Notice: The file must be either PDF or WORD document.
- Once it is saved please click the upload button, then the progress bar will begin to show the progress report of your file being uploaded on the EPS server
- For those of you who are using the google chrome, internet explorer, opera, edge, yandex, and other browsers that use the google chrome platform, a message will display when you upload progress reaches 100%. Please remember just because it says 100% does not mean it has finished uploading unless a message is displayed like this
- Once the message is displayed, your uploaded file will also automatically appear on your table (at the right side of your upload form)
- For those of you who are using the Mozilla Firefox, please know that some of the script that we have used is not supported on the mozilla firefox. That means when you upload your manuscript it won’t show you the green message, in this case please wait until the file that you have uploaded is displayed on the table (at the right side of the upload form).
- Now that you have successfully uploaded your file, it will be displayed on the table. The table that you see, this will be the area that you are authorized to follow up on the status of your manuscript. Under this catagory, there is:-
- File name:- This is where your uploaded file displayed. When you hover your mouse on the file and click, it will direct you straight to your uploaded file.
- Date Uploaded:- Date will be saved the moment you upload the file
- Status:- This is where you follow up the status of your uploaded manuscript.
- This sign under the status with black closed folder implies that, the team have not yet opened your file for review yet! Please note that under this catagory you have the delete button permission. Here you can remove your upload if you are having a second thought before your manuscript is opened to be reviewed. Once your manuscirpt is opened you won’t be able to remove your manuscirpt. You can check the rest of the images and you can see that there is no delete button sign.
- The sign under the status with TEAL colored opened folder implies that your file is opened by the EPS team and being reviewed.
- The sign under the status with RED colored opened folder with thumbs down sign implies that your manuscript has been reviewed and finished and rejected
- The sign under the status with GREEN colored opened folder with thumbs up sign implies that your manuscript has been reviewed and finshed and accepted
Updated On: November, 23 2018.