Ethiopian Pediatric Society (EPS) is a voluntary professional association, representing pediatricians, pediatric subspecialists, pediatrics residents, and other people who work with and care for children. The Ethiopian Pediatric Society was founded in 1995, as a national society of pediatricians, committed to working together with governmental & non governmental organizations for children and youth by nurturing excellence in health care, advocacy ,education , research and support of its membership.
To see Every Ethiopian child accorded the right to the highest attainable standard of health, and the opportunity to grow, develop, and fulfill to his or her human potential, the rights of child health professionals respected and ethically sound high standard pediatric practice ensured.
Pediatricians, working with partners, will be leaders in promoting physical, mental and social health for all children, and in realizing the highest standards of health for newborns, children, and adolescents.
Excellence in Knowledge, skill and expertise in child health:
- Advocate about children and play an advisory role in the planning and administration of policies and regulations related to child health.
- Striving hard to ensure a high standard of pediatrics practice in Ethiopia and foster ethical pediatrics care and research.
- Produce scientific publications related to the profession and encouraging and facilitating research activities, which benefit the professional in pediatric care.
- Involve in capacity building trainings of child professionals and community.
- Promote and facilitate the delivery of comprehensive maternal and child health services.
- Establish and maintain professional linkages with similar societies and associations with in and outside of Ethiopia
- Establish professional linkage with institutions and agencies working in child welfare within and outside of Ethiopia.
To achieve its objectives and to fulfill its mission EPS works in the following directions:
- Conducted its annual conference and give updated and relevant medical education pertaining to paediatric service though continue medical education to its members and interested professionals
- Advocate about children and play an advisory role in the planning and implementation of polices and regulations related to child health.
- Represented in various national task forces and core group, So that EPS is able to contribute on planning and implementation of polices and regulations related to child health. Currently EPS has representation in reproductive health, safe motherhood, IMCI, and child servile task force.
- Strive hard to ensure a high standard of pediatric practice in Ethiopia and foster Ethical pediatric care and research.
- Produce scientific publications related to the professions and encouraging and facilitating research activities which benefit the professional in pediatric care provider.
- Involve in capacity building trainings of child health professionals and the community.
- Promote and facilitate the delivery of comprehensive maternal and child health service.
- Establish and maintain professional linkage with similar societies and associations within and outside of Ethiopia.
- Establish professional linkage with international institutions and agencies working in child welfare
- EPS has official organ called “Ethiopian Journal of pediatrics and child health" addresses mainly the child health professionals and others publication called "EPS news letter" which address the public in child health issue.
- Teaching the community about child health matters through mass media.
EPS designs and implements education and training programs for pediatricians and other child health personnel, on the needs of populations and particularly on child health care.
CME- Continuing Medical Education is the popular program of EPS, which is quarterly organized and also held together with the annual conference as pre- conference session.
EPS will seek out and work with FMoH, United Nations agencies at country and global levels, donors and other partners in maternal and child health.
EPS promotes health for all children from birth through adolescence, and advocates for the right of every newborn, child, and adolescent health and well-being.
EPS collaborates with local and international organizations who work on pediatrics and child care , FMoH, Regional Health Bureaus and sister organizations are some of local organizations, WHO, UNICEF, Clinton Health Access initiative(CHAI) savethechildren International , International Pediatric Association (IPA), UNAPSA , NAPKA, are some but very important international organizations whom EPS works with.
EPS Organizational structure
1. General Assembly
- It is the higher body of the society
- Has annual conference to give Direction and Decision to the society
- Elects different bodies of the organization:
- EPS President
- EPS Secretary
- Executive board members
- Editorial board members
- Internal auditors
2. Executive Board
- Executes EPS actives directed by general assembly and EPS constitution
- elected once every two years by general assembly
- Comprises seven members:-
- EPS President
- EPS Secretary
- EPS Treasurer
- EPS Public relation officer
- EPS Program officer
- EPS EC Members (2)
- Has monthly regular meeting to direct and monitor EPS activities
- To ensure the high standard pediatrics practice in the country EPS has done twelve rounds if ETAT national IMNCI training in collaboration with FMoH and WHO.
- Developed training manual for newborn health care and conducting training on newborn health care for the nurse midwives and doctors in collaboration with FMoH and UNICEF
- Conducted supportive supervision on Newborn Care practices in health facilities in collaboration with FMoH and UNICEF
- Conducted short term training on Newborn Care NICU, ETAT,IIP and MLM in collaboration with partners
4. EPS executive committee
- The daily routine work of the office is executed by employees of EPS office:
- Currently EPS office has the following employees:
- Executive director
- Office manager
- Project officer
- Office Secretary
- Chief Accountant and
- Part-time internal auditor
5. Where We Operate
The Ethiopian pediatric society is located at Kirkos sub city Kebele 02/03 Jolly building 5th floor , Room No. 501
Telephone – 011-4-67-06-58/011-860-28-43
Fax – 011-4-67-06-58
E-mail – firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com
Website – www.epseth.com
for more infomation please go to our contact page
Managerial board members
- Dr Etsegent Gedlu President of EPS
- Dr Tamirat Moges Secretary of EPS
- Dr Muluwork tefera
- Dr Solome Jebessa
- Dr Meseret Gebre
- Dr Hayat Ahmed
- Dr Zelalem Taddese
OUR STRATEGIC PLAN